TV in Morocco
Surprisingly morning and afternoon TV programming is very similar to that in the United States, only in Arabic (or maybe French). There are news programs, talk shows, cooking shows, etc. Soap operas, which I believe are mostly Egyptian, are on the main channels. Sporting events are popular as you can imagine and religious programming is as ubiquitous there as in the United States.
It was at night when things began to turn a little surreal. Watching Moroccan Idol was quite entertaining even if I didn't understand anything. While there were a few talented participants, many others made my ears hurt, especially if they were attempting Western music. And popular American movies just don't come across the same when the actors are speaking in Arabic! The movies chosen for late night programming were utterly fascinating: Arabic womens' prison movies, old Arabic classics from the 40's (?) with 'famous' actors I've never even heard of, very strange Asian action films, etc.
But I could only watch so long before the foreign languages began to get to me. I was even craving Univision or Telemundo, the Spanish language stations from home. At least then I'd be able to understand a little!
I think it's time for me to learn some French.

<< Home