Terrorism Threat

Two days before I was to depart Morocco to fly home, the country went on 'Maximum Security Alert', which essentially means that, according to the government, a terroristic strike could be imminent.
How did I find this out, you may wonder? I was sitting in an Cyber Cafe, reading the daily online Moroccan news. Since there is no such thing as a daily English newspaper there, and since I am such a news junkie, I got all my local news from the Internet. And there is was: Morocco on HIGH ALERT! I quickly showed my friends, who showed the other customers in the Cafe. Nobody had heard about it. Imagine that! The foreign white lady telling the natives what is going on!
Then I realized that sitting in a cyber cafe is probably not the best place to be when you are an American tourist. So, I quickly checked my emails and we left. We had plans to go out dancing that night, but after having visions of dead bodies splattered all over the dance floor, we changed our minds and stayed home watching movies. And we lucked out and found one in English with French subtitles, so everybody was happy!
Living on the edge can be a little unnerving.

<< Home