Monday, July 23, 2007

The Henna Ladies



Applying henna dye is a very old art that is practiced not only in North Africa, but in other parts of the world as well. I was reminded of this on my return flight when I was seated next to an American woman who was returning home from Pakistan.

I had it done first in Marrakesh, then in Casa. I had been advised to only request the 'brown' henna, as the black kind can be toxic. I was impressed both times at the speed these women had and the intricicies of the designs. I'm sure though, that they have been doing it for many years! Once the henna is dry, which can take about 30 minutes if the sun is out, or longer than an hour without sun, it is easily flaked off to reveal the beautiful design underneath. Not bad for just a few dollars!

The henna woman in the Casa Medina surprised me, when halfway through, she stuck the end of the applicator in her mouth, sucked on the stylus tip for a few seconds(presumably to get the stuck henna out?), and then loaded it up with new henna and kept going. Ehhh! But the henna ladies are always very, very friendly!