Couscous and Tagines


North African food is some of the best in the world! It is always made with the freshest ingredients and is very healthy. In Morocco, fast food restaurants are rare, but you can get traditional food on any busy street corner, from the restaurants and cafes to the small vendors with their tiny shops. Couscous is often served on a large serving platter and everybody has a spoon; tagines (stews) are normally served in individual tagine pots. Chicken, beef, and fish are all popular, but you never see pork as this is an Islamic country. Other popular ingredients include dates, almonds, and olives. Cumin, saffron, and cinnamon are common spices that are used together in many dishes.
I can never seem to get my couscous at home to taste this good! Part of the reason is because I only use 'instant' couscous (okay, I'm spoiled), and as a result it cooks too fast and doesn't have time to absorb the other flavors. Also, my sauces don't quite seem right....but I'm working on it!

<< Home