Children

Moroccan children must surely be some of the most beautiful in the world. Coming in all shades of white, brown, and black, they are full of life, far more independent than American children, and full of curiosity. The children that are very poor learn how to survive at an early age, which is quite apparent in the touristy areas.
Late one night while a group of us were eating at an outdoor restaurant, a very young girl who appeared to be about five or six years old, came up and set a pack of gum in front of us. She didn't say anything, she just set the gum in front of us and smiled. We gave her a few dirhams and returned the gum to her. She had the biggest smile!
We had so much food left over on our plates, that I asked her (through body language) if she wanted to eat. I pointed to the different plates, then pointed to her, then pointed to her mouth. At first she hesitated, then she grabbed the large pocket bread, stuck her fist down into it, then stared filling this pocket with all the other food. Very enterprising, I thought!
I didn't know where her mother was, but I hoped she was somewhere in the shadows keeping an eye on her. But she may not have been.......

<< Home